Saturday in Bev's kitchen

Chopping Onions

There are a lot of different tips out there for chopping onions efficiently and without tears.
Today I thought I'd share my tried and true method.


First of all, I  have found that standing at my counter between an open window and the stove exhaust fan is the best place to chop onions.  The open window causes a draft that directs
 the onion fumes out through the exhaust fan
.
I always start by cutting off both ends of the onion, I cut the onion in half from stem to root.
The onion skin is then easier to remove.




I cut it lengthwise into strips, holding the onion together with my fingers,  
then if I want diced onions, I hold the slices together,
  turn the cut onion 45 degrees and cut it the other way forming a dice.


 As you can see from this picture, I have printed the word ONION with permanent marker on one side of my cutting board. 
 In dedicating one side of a cutting board to onion I avoid having the onion taste transfer itself to the milder fruits and nuts I might need a chopping board for later..


Just a few tips on a Saturday morning.  Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your day.

Share this

Related Posts

First