Pishkey

I set out to make Kudrishkey for this post but instead the recipe produced something more like a Russian fry bread we call Pishkey. I will try once again in the future to get the Kudrishkey or Kudrey perfected. Kudrey are suppose to be flakey pastry that is more paper thin. This recipe is still easy to make and a nice treat similar to Rollkuchen.
I made a small batch using the following recipe.

  • 1-1/4 cups sifted flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 cup powdered sugar (frosting sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon soft butter
  • 1/2 tablespoon brandy
  • 2 eggs
  • vegetable oil for frying
  • powered sugar for dusting

  1. Sift flour, sugar and salt together.
  2. Cut in butter.
  3. Beat eggs and brandy together well.
  4. Add egg mixture to flour and mix well.
  5. Knead thoroughly.
  6. Divide into two portions keeping one portion covered while working on first portion.
  7. Roll out thin.
  8. Cut strips approx. 2 inches wide and 3 inches long.
  9. Make a slit in the middle of each strip, pulling one end through the slit. 
  10. Continue with second portion and following the same steps.
  11. Fry in hot vegetable oil turning until both sides are light brown.
  12. Drain on paper towels.
  13. Dust with powdered sugar. 
  14. Yield: 20 pishkey

I don't think I rolled the dough out thin enough but I also think I need to tweak the ingredients for these to be able to be called Kudrey. I'll try again in the future and I hope to get the paper thin flaky result I remember Kudrishkey to be. 

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »