Super Foods


I've been hearing the word 'Super Food' bandied about and I wanted to open this post to hear your thoughts and experience with some of the foods on the 'Super Food' list.

We spent a week in Maui a few weeks ago and we had Sunday lunch on an ocean side restaurant with outdoor seating.  On the menu was a gluten-free dessert and though it was expensive I couldn't resist when  my husband insisted I try it.  (dessert pictured above)
Here is how it was described on the menu ...  "Lilikoi Pono Pie with Kula Strawberries - $7.95... Guilt free from Maui with Kula strawberries and Maui honey. This breadfruit inspired dessert contains no gluten, refined sugar or dairy."  
The dessert had an unfamiliar flavour but my taste-buds were delighted!

I had never heard of Breadfruit and did a bit of research only to find that it is such a 'Super Food' that they are saying it could be the answer to world hunger.  It is an interesting fruit. The breadfruit trees are fast growing with abundant yearly  yield of fruit.  When the fruit is mature but not very ripe it is bland and is used in main dishes, not unlike a potato. When it is ripe it becomes sweet, mushy and can be used for desserts. It is extremely rich in nutrients.
I have been looking for it , but have only found the Caribbean Market in New Westminster that has it.

Another thing I have done recently that I was perhaps  a little on the slow side to discover is to make Kale Chips.   Kale is another Super Food and drying the lightly oil tossed seasoned leaves in the oven makes them a crisp snack food that can also be crumbled into baking/cooked foods/soups or cereal or smoothies.

So.... comments are welcome sharing your thoughts or experience or knowledge on 'super foods' and how you serve them!

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »